308 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Responsible Mining in Odisha
We are all for “Mining”, but “Responsible Mining” !!!
“Responsible Mining” should be a mandatory practice for all mining companies!
We believe it is crucial for mining companies to take responsibility of their environmental pollution in Odisha, the mineral powerhouse of India. Please sign this petition if you think both the central and Odisha state government should make the following documents publicly available:
- Stricter Environmental protection laws for sustainable mining
- Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) of mines (conducted by third parties)
- Management and enforcement plans for mine closures
- An accurate tally of toxic mining waste
- The agreement with communities directly affected by mining activities.
Mining is an intensive process that can impact the physical environment, e.g. the loss of habitat or contamination of water, and affect local communities’ social and economic lives, such as through displacement of livelihoods or cultural impacts.
The tribes of undivided Koraput district of Odisha, along with other tribal areas of Odisha are dangerously vulnerable to the adverse effects of mining on the environment; which would cause severe loss of life if these effects are not contained or reduced to a minimum through “good mining practices”.
Laws and regulatory instruments have worked unsatisfactorily due to weak enforcement and inadequate coordination among government agencies. Preparation of a socio-economic assessment report for a mining project should be made a mandatory part of the bidding process, and post-auction handover to a mining enterprise.
Mining should only be allowed to companies following sustainable community development practices and established safe mining experience. Only the companies with globally stablished good practices should be allowed to participate in the mines’ auction process, to ensure the safety of the people and our environment.
The ultimate negative impact of mining will be felt by the people closest to it. It should be the government’s responsibility to make sure our environment and people are safe and healthy.
I urge every one of you to sign this petition, asking both the centre and state governments, to make these mining plans of companies available in the public domain.
This is a Petition initiated by Mr Sankar Pani, a well-known and respected Green activist and lawyer of Odisha who works for the communities, specifically the marginalised communities and is committed to protecting the environment.
Your petition will make“Responsible mining”, a national benchmark. How?
- Please sign the petition if you believe that we should have a transparent ‘good practice’ to make mining sustainable and help in the development of Odisha
- We would take your petition to the decision-makers, implementors and the public offices and urge prudent action.
- With the help of our volunteers we would ensure your petition reaches the communities at the district and below district levels.
- This ‘surround’ strategy would enhance awareness among common masses about the sustainability of mining and would institutionalise community participation.
Your petition will not be resting on tables but be working on the ground !!!